Dr. Jonathan Ritz
Director of Student Wellness & Embedded Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) Counselor
Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures
Meet Dr. Jonathan Ritz
Jonathan Ritz is a licensed counselor and serves as the College of Arts & Letters’ Director of Student Wellness & Embedded CAPS Counselor. He is also a faculty member in the Professional and Public Writing program in the Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures.
As Director of Student Wellness, Jon works with the College’s Undergraduate Studies team to support the mental health and wellbeing of Arts & Letters students.
- Serving as a CAPS embedded counselor to provide mental health screening, individual counseling, and group therapy for Arts & Letters students.
- Providing brief drop-in counseling for Arts & Letters students through CAPS Connect.
- Organizing mental health/wellness outreach programming targeted to Arts & Letters students.
- Work with CAL faculty and staff to help support student wellness.
Consultation with Dr. Ritz
CAPS Connect is a brief, one-time, “walk in” consultation session that is confidential, completely free, and available to all enrolled MSU students.
15-minute appointments are available every Thursday 1:30–3:00 pm. These consulting sessions with Dr. Ritz are especially helpful for students with questions about getting connected to CAPS and other campus resources, counseling in general, or other issues and concerns. More Information on CAPS Connect.
Schedule a CAPS Counseling Appointment
Use the form below to schedule a CAPS counseling appointment.
Note: Under “What would you like CAPS to help you with?”, check the box for “Connect with the embedded therapist for the College of Arts & Letters.”
In Crisis / Emergency
Students in need of immediate crisis services can:
- Call CAPS CRISIS Line at any time (24/7/365) 517-355-8270, prompt ‘1’ to talk with a crisis counselor.
- Call 9-1-1.
- Go to the closest emergency room if it is safe to do so.