Dear College of Arts & Letters Staff and Faculty,
As we head into the holiday break and the start of a new calendar year, I am writing to provide a quick update regarding the spring semester 2021. This message supplements the communication that was sent yesterday to the MSU community from President Stanley about the delay in the start of the semester for spring 2021.
To provide our faculty and staff with ongoing support for the new semester, the College of Arts & Letters Academic Technology team has made available a readiness series during the week of January 4-8, 2021. This series is offered in collaboration with MSU IT and the Enhanced Digital Learning Initiative (EDLI) and will include workshops, one-on-one consulting opportunities, videos, tip sheets, and documents to help you prepare for teaching during spring 2021. To register, please visit go.cal.msu.edu/spring21.
As a reminder, the timeline for spring 2021 semester will be:
- January 11-19: Reading, reviewing, and reflection
- January 19: Any classes that were planned to be in-person will start online
- January 25: In-person classes will begin meeting in-person
- January 25: Open add period will end at 8:00 p.m.
- March 2-3: Wellness days will be held as previously scheduled
- March 10: Last day to drop a class with no grade reported
- April 21: Last day of class meetings
- April 22-23: Study days during which no classes will be held
I recognize that these schedule modifications require us again to adjust our plans in response to changing circumstances. I am grateful for the flexibility and resilience you have all demonstrated during this difficult period. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Chair, Director, or any member of the College leadership team if you have any questions or concerns.
Please be well, stay safe, and take care.
Christopher P. Long
Dean, College of Arts & Letters