The College of Arts & Letters is looking for a dedicated individual with attention to detail to work with the Marketing Director, Senior Editor, and current Communications + Social Media Interns to help promote original content and spread positive messages about the College and liberal arts for the fall and spring semesters.
The Public Relations & Communications Strategist intern will learn from and work with current interns in an open, collaborative space with state-of-art technology that we like to call the Content Studio. The Content Studio brings writers, editors, videographers, graphic designers, user experience designers, and web developers together to drive engaging content and experiences that faculty, students, friends, and alumni of the College can enjoy. The Content Studio is conveniently located on the first floor of Linton Hall, the oldest-standing building on MSU’s campus.
This internship is paid and can be taken for MSU credits as well. Our past interns have gone on to work at organizations such as Facebook, BuzzFeed, Refinery29, Target HQ, and University of Michigan, just to name a few.
- Work within public relations and earned media software to find influencers that will help us spread the word on the world-changing research and happenings of the College
- Work on media research and building media lists for the College and its departments and programs
- Develop relationships with local and national journalists and news reporters
- Write news articles for the College of Arts & Letters website
- Assist in posting news items to the College of Arts & Letters website
- Assist with social media updates (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter)
- Work in the office at Linton Hall about 12-15 hours per week during the academic year
- Other duties as assigned
- Priority given to students who have taken PR courses or are enrolled in the PR minor
- Strong interest in working in public relations and/or communications
- Experience or interest in learning about public relations and earned media software such as Cision
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Basic social media experience (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Must work well with a team, demonstrate attention to detail, and be deadline-oriented
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
To apply, please attach your résumé, cover letter, and a writing sample on our internships page. You may address your cover letter to Ryan Kilcoyne, Marketing Director. Documents MUST be submitted as .PDF files. If you have any questions, contact Ryan at email@example.com.
Handshake job number: 2909232