ABOUT THE AWARD
Created by the College of Arts & Letters Culture of Care Retirement Subcommittee, the Legacy Lecture was established in 2021 to recognize one (1) outstanding individual yearly for their contributions to the College of Arts & Letters, Michigan State University, and the community post-retirement.
The honoree will deliver a 60-minute lecture they have always wished they could give focused on their creative work and research.
ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
- Must have or have had a primary appointment in the College of Arts & Letters;
- If current faculty, must have applied and made public their retirement date.
- Evidence of sustained, distinguished contributions of creative work and/or research;
- Evidence of exceptional contributions and service to the College of Arts & Letters and the University;
- Give a 60-minute lecture that they have always wished they could give focused on their creative work/research;
- Hosted the 3rd or 4th week of January after 4 p.m.;
- Virtually and in person;
- Be recognized at the College of Arts & Letters Spring All-Faculty & Staff Meeting
- Small reception post-lecture
The recipient will be encouraged to give the lecture in person in East Lansing, MI. The College or MSU will not provide travel funds for the honoree for this lecture. If the nominee is unable to attend the lecture in person, arrangements will be made for the presentation to be virtual (Zoom or alternative platform).
The nomination letter (maximum of 2-pages) should explain why you are nominating this faculty member for this award and how you believe this faculty member fulfills the award criteria. Please include:
- Statement describing why you believe the nominee deserves recognition;
- Statement on the nominee’s distinguished creative and scholarly work;
- Statement on nominee’s impact on teaching and student engagement;
- Brief statement on proposed legacy lecture contents/subject/approach.
The College of Arts & Letters awards committee appointed by the Dean of the College of Arts & Letters will review the nominations and make the selection.
Nominations are due by April 15.