The Dean’s Arts Advisory Council (College of Arts & Letters) invites proposals for creating artworks that respond critically and imaginatively to the ongoing COVID-19 global crisis. The artwork’s themes, topics, methods, and approaches may respond to the following aspects of the global pandemic, but not limited to:
- Immigration and travel in the time of COVID-19
- Cultural and political histories of pandemics
- Personal and familial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Social policies and governance related to COVID-19 (as they intersect with race, class, gender, sexuality, nationality, and disability)
- Social traumas related to COVID-19 (including domestic violence, police and extrajudicial violence, discourse around gun rights, hate crimes, and bias incidents)
- Impacts of the pandemics on arts practice and resources
- Impacts of the pandemic on education and learning
- Discoveries and new paradigms inspired by the pandemic
- Aspirations for new artistic, social, and personal formations post-pandemic
- Visions for hope and healing during and after the pandemic
Proposed works must be original works by undergraduates enrolled at Michigan State University. Artworks resulting from winning proposals will be presented in a virtual exhibit supported by the College of Arts & Letters. Artists must agree to deliver the works resulting from funded projects on the stipulated date.
The Dean’s Arts Advisory Council are looking for submissions using the following mediums: Ceramics, Design, Film and Video, Musical Composition, Musical Performance, New Media Forms, Painting, Performing Arts, Photography, Playwriting, Poetry, Printmaking, Prose, Screenwriting, Sculpture, Sound Art, Textile Arts, and Visual Art. Alternate Genres and Mediums also are accepted.
The Micro-Grants are open to all undergraduates. To apply, go to http://tiny.cc/createmsu. Applications are due on June 1, 2020. For any questions, contact Dr. Divya Victor of the English Department and the Creative Writing Program at email@example.com. Proposal winners will be announced on June 15, 2020